Dispatch From Canada | Q & A Alongside Genevieve Dionne


In Jan nosotros mentioned nosotros had a few novel weblog serial planned for 2017 too today it continues. With Canada celebrating 150 years this year, nosotros are planning to do our component hither on the weblog yesteryear celebrating Canadian design, featuring Canadian artists, designers too architects all twelvemonth long.  Today we're thrilled to characteristic the piece of employment of Genevieve Dionne, a Vancouver-based creative somebody who is making amazing things amongst ceramics.  We asked her a few questions of late most her work.  Check out the interview below.





Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 photograph posted yesteryear Genevieve Dionne (@genevievedionne) on



We're large fans, how would you lot pull your work/aesthetic?
I strive for an aesthetic that is handcrafted, understated too quietly refined; a fragile combination of social club too playfulness.


Where did you lot develop or study too how did your practise form?
I studied fine fine art at The Alberta College of Art too Design too the Nova Scotia College of Art too Design. I had taken a handful of ceramic classes merely my principal focus was on drawing too printmaking.

I started taking pottery classes at the westward halt community centre when I moved to Vancouver too that real rapidly became my principal creative outlet…I spent the side yesteryear side 10 years making piece of employment on the side every bit a fellow member at dissimilar pottery studios.

Last twelvemonth I moved to my ain studio inwards a Co-Op too also had a career modify that has allowed me to a greater extent than fourth dimension to focus on my art. It’s been a tiresome procedure too I experience similar my practise is nonetheless taking shape!




What Canadian designers/architect/artist do you lot admire?
I’ve ever loved the piece of employment of Shary Boyle  too Kelly Mark, merely I’m also real inspired yesteryear my peers, too inwards especial other women working inwards Vancouver such every bit Heather Dahl, Jessica Bell, Rebecca Chaperone too Sara Gee Miller; these real genuine too dedicated people induce got move my role models.


How do you lot do best (e.g. do you lot heed to music piece you lot do too if too then what?)
I alternate betwixt listening to music when I demand to focus too listening to podcasts when I’m doing something repetitive. My playlists are commonly a mix of 80’s - 2000’s indie rock/pop. For podcasts my recent favourites include Reply All, 99% invisible, Hidden Brain, too Surprisingly awesome.

Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 photograph posted yesteryear Genevieve Dionne (@genevievedionne) on


We'd dearest to run across a pic of your studio/office/workshop where all the magic happens - if do you lot assist to part a photo?
It’s most 100 foursquare feet too narrow- a fleck tricky to capture it all inwards a photo. Aside from my ain space, there’s a room amongst iii kilns shared betwixt the Co-Op members.




Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 photograph posted yesteryear Genevieve Dionne (@genevievedionne) on



What are your favourite tools
Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 favourite of mine is a picayune needle tipped squelch bottle “ Fineline applicator”- it’s perfect for squeezing underglaze into fine lines of drawings or text.

The other tool I dearest is the vinyl plotter- I oft brand vinyl stencils for masking off patterns on the clay surface.



We dearest seeing people's inspiration boards or something similar.
I maintain inspiration images inwards plastic sleeved booklets since wall infinite express inwards my studio.




What are you lot working on currently that excites you?
The most exciting affair for me correct directly is the tiled slab pieces…For a long fourth dimension I’ve wanted to evolve my piece of employment into a house where it’s non-functional too larger scale. The tiled slabs are unlimited inwards size too induce got too then many options for surface design; exploring those variations is actually engaging.





What is novel happening for you lot - anything you'd similar us to report?
I of late started selling a trouble of carmine stoneware vessels at Hinterland…I’m also looking forrard to collaborating amongst Hinterland on a novel production that combines ceramics too wood.

This jump I’ll induce got to a greater extent than or less porcelain vessels on thought every bit component of a window display at the Babaton store inwards Toronto Eaton Centre.

Thank you lot Genevieve!

 Follow Genevieve Dionne online:

Site: genevievedionne.com
Instagram: @genevievedionne

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel